I'm always adding new articles because I have found so much good stuff to share that you will surely find of great use to you and your family and friends. Much of what I share involves getting back to the basics and doing for ourselves. Simply click the above image to see the latest of the greatest finds.

I'm big into DIY projects and finding ways to improve things, saving time and money. Quite frankly, I'm tired of paying for overpriced junk and for other people's mistakes. If I'm going to pay for anyone's mistakes, they should be my own. If you agree, then click the above image for all sorts of ingenious ideas.

There's a plethora of stuff and information that I've found to share and I like to feature my favorites for quick and easy future reference -- for myself as well as all of you. Some I've already tried myself and will do again; some I am looking forward to trying. Just click the above image to see what I've added to my faves list.

Monday, July 15, 2013

Cinnamon Apple Dessert Chimichangas...OH, MY MY MY!

Fruit pie chimichangas? Pure genius! Friends have always teased me, saying that I can slap just about anything on a flour tortilla. I don't even have your traditional sandwich anymore because it goes on a tortilla instead. Something I learned when I was a poor college student. So, I can't believe I didn't think of this myself!

Although, I have thrown some cherry sours on one and nuked it -- that's all we had and the store was closed. They were surprisingly good. Haha! Anywho, these are like fried apple pie burritos that are covered in cinnamon, sugar and a drizzle of caramel. OMG!


For those who don't know, a chimichanga is a fried burrito. So, basically, this is a fried apple pie burrito. OMG! I'm squealing with delight at the mere thought of it! I still can't believe I've never dreamed this up, myself, especially after slapping all sorts of things on tortillas (various meats, eggs, potatoes, sandwiches, leftovers, etc.) for about 25 years! Where was my brain all that time? Hahaha!

My sister and her family came for a visit one weekend and we all love Mexican food. So, I made these for them with apple and blueberry pie fillings. I even combined the two on a few. I made a whole 20-count package of tortillas and they ate them all!

Ingredients

For the Apple Pie Filling

4 baking apples, chopped* 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 cups water 1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup cornstarch 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar

* Juanita used a mix of granny smith and gala apples.

For the Chimichangas

8-10 small flour tortillas 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar Oil for frying

Directions

For the Apple Pie Filling
  1. Combine the water, cornstarch, sugar cinnamon, salt, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook for approximately 3 minutes or until the mixture becomes very thick.
  2. Add the chopped apples and reduce to a simmer. Allow the apple mixture to simmer until the apples become just tender (approximately 10 minutes). Allow the mixture to cool.
For the Chimichangas
  1. Mix cinnamon and sugar in a shallow bowl and set aside.
  2. Spoon applie pie filling across the bottom 1/3 of the tortilla.
  3. Roll in both sides of the tortilla before rolling up the bottom of the tortilla over the filling, and then continue to roll the tortilla up like a burrito.
  4. Meanwhile, heat a small skillet with 1/2 inch of oil. Once oil is hot, fry the chimichangas on all sides until the tortilla turns golden brown (approximately 30 seconds on each side).
  5. Remove the chimichangas to a paper towel-lined plate and allow to drain briefly. Immediately roll the warm chimichanga in the cinnamon sugar mixture to coat and serve.
  6. You can serve the chimichangas drizzled with caramel sauce if you desire.
Recipe from

No comments :

Post a Comment