I'm always adding new articles because I have found so much good stuff to share that you will surely find of great use to you and your family and friends. Much of what I share involves getting back to the basics and doing for ourselves. Simply click the above image to see the latest of the greatest finds.

I'm big into DIY projects and finding ways to improve things, saving time and money. Quite frankly, I'm tired of paying for overpriced junk and for other people's mistakes. If I'm going to pay for anyone's mistakes, they should be my own. If you agree, then click the above image for all sorts of ingenious ideas.

There's a plethora of stuff and information that I've found to share and I like to feature my favorites for quick and easy future reference -- for myself as well as all of you. Some I've already tried myself and will do again; some I am looking forward to trying. Just click the above image to see what I've added to my faves list.

Monday, July 15, 2013

Traditional Hummus: This Middle Eastern Dip is Addicting!

This Middle Eastern dip is traditionally made with chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, and olive oil, but it lends itself to several variations. I've included a few suggested variations at the bottom. Simply prepare and refrigerate it a day ahead, then let it stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Garnish with a lemon wedge and fresh parsley sprig, and serve with flat bread, pita chips, rye chips, bagel chips, or other choice of dipping chip.

Prep Time: Approx. 10 min Total Time: Approx.10 min Yields: 3 1/4 cups

Ingredients

2 cans (15.5 oz) no-salt-added chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, crushed 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup water 3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste) 1/4 tsp. black pepper

Directions
  1. Place beans and garlic in a food processor; pulse 5 times or until chopped.
  2. Add 1/2 cup water and remaining ingredients; pulse until smooth, scraping down sides as needed.
  3. You can either serve it immediately or prepare it ahead of time and refrigerate it. Just be sure to let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
Other Suggested Variations

"This is a very good basic recipe and lends itself to many interpretations. I added another clove of garlic, some yogurt, cumin, paprika & cayenne to increase the flavor and spiciness." ~ Gateway Cook

"The basic recipe works well. I strongly suggest cooking your own chick peas using onion, good quality oregano, garlic and chicken stock. Then the absolute best tahini is the Tohum organic brand which can be found on Amazon." ~ Ronaldl

"I really like this hummus recipe, and usually make it 2-3 times a month to eat on flat bread or pitas for breakfast or a snack. The only change I've made is to add a teaspoon of cumin." ~ Belanos

"I really liked this hummus. The only thing that felt missing was a touch of olive oil. I'm used to restaurant presentation where the hummus is served with a topping of olive oil so I was looking for that flavor. My solution: when I make myself a serving sized bowl from this recipe I just add a touch of salt and a dash of olive oil to make the flavors pop." ~ Nallix

Recipe from

No comments :

Post a Comment